Bowl Bubble Watch- Final Edition

The most comprehensive analysis of the college football bowl bubble is back!  For the eleventh-straight season, I will be publishing weekly late season columns analyzing which teams will get bowl bids and which will not.  Below, I have written a report for every team that has yet to be declared either bowl eligible or ineligible. Each week this list will be updated and new odds will be provided for each team.  Please note that these odds only represent the chances that a particular team will get enough wins to be eligible to receive a bowl bid. They do not represent the odds a team has for actually receiving a bid.  This discrepancy likely won’t affect the bowl chances for most teams, but as we saw three years ago with Mississippi State and North Texas, sometimes a squad can fall short of bowl eligibility and still garner a bowl bid at 5-7 based on APR, if all spots are not filled.  All of the teams below are ordered in descending order of likelihood that they will become bowl eligible. This list is updated through all games played on November 23rd.  Now, that all the games have been played we officially know who is bowl eligible and who is not.  There are 79 NCAA FBS bowl eligible teams this year with 78 bowl spots, so that means one team that is bowl eligible this season will not get a bid.  You will see in my bowl projection post which will be posted in just a few minutes that I am predicting Eastern Michigan to be that team that doesn’t get an invite.  See full list of teams below.

Good Side of the Bowl Bubble: Teams closing in on bowl bids (0):

——————————————————————————————

Bad Side of the Bowl Bubble: Teams who will likely be home for the holidays (0):

 

Already Bowl Eligible (79):  (1) Clemson, (2) Pittsburgh, (3) Virginia, (4) Wake Forest, (5) Cincinnati, (6) Memphis, (7) Navy, (8) SMU, (9) Tulane, (10) UCF, (11) Baylor, (12) Kansas State, (13) Oklahoma, (14) Oklahoma State, (15) Indiana, (16) Iowa, (17) Michigan, (18) Minnesota, (19) Ohio State, (20) Penn State, (21) Wisconsin, (22) Florida Atlantic, (23) Louisiana Tech, (24) Marshall, (25) UAB, (26) Central Michigan, (27) Air Force, (28) Boise State, (29) San Diego State, (30) Wyoming, (31) Oregon, (32) Utah, (33) Alabama, (34) Auburn, (35) Georgia, (36) Florida, (37) LSU, (38) Texas A & M, (39) Appalachian State, (40) Georgia State, (41) UL-Lafayette, (42) Notre Dame, (43) Toledo (previous odds: 83%), (44) Western Michigan (previous odds: 74%), (45) Temple (previous odds: 98%), (46) Washington (previous odds: 81.5%), (47) Western Kentucky (previous odds: 60%), (48) Virginia Tech (previous odds: 77%), (49) Southern Miss (previous odds: 78%), (50) Miami-FL (previous odds: 86%), (51) Texas (previous odds: 80%) (52) Southern Cal (previous odds: 65%), (53) Illinois (previous odds: 57%), (54) Nevada (previous odds: 59%), (55) Miami-OH (previous odds: 79%, 96%), (56) Florida State (previous odds: 48%, 98%), (57) BYU (previous odds: 99%, 99.5%), (58) Iowa State (previous odds: 84%, 83%), (59) Arkansas State (previous odds: 79.5%, 79.5%), (60) Hawaii (previous odds: 63%, 75%), (61) Utah State  (previous odds: 51%, 67%), (62) Georgia Southern (previous odds: 68%, 63%), (63) Louisville (previous odds: 76%, 72%), (64) Eastern Michigan (previous odds: 50.5%, 50.5%, 55%), (65) Buffalo (previous odds: 82%, 82%, 70%), (66) Kentucky (previous odds: 62%, 59%, 98%), (67) Tennessee (previous odds: 51.5%, 66%, 66%), (68) Arizona State (previous odds: 66%, 62%, 58%), (69) Charlotte (previous odds: 54.5%, 57%, 57%), (70) California (previous odds: 41%, 48%, 46%), (71) FIU (previous odds: 35%, 33%, 33%), (72) Washington State (previous odds: 67%, 51%, 64%), (73) Ohio (previous odds: 81%, 68%, 63%, 83%), (74) Mississippi State (previous odds: 56%, 56%, 54%, 56%), (75) Kent State (previous odds: 31%, 27%, 37%, 44%), (76) Liberty (previous odds: 64%, 61%, 61%, 60%), (77) Boston College (previous odds: 58% 36%, 36%, 32%), (78) Michigan State (previous odds: 91%, 81%, 72%, 79%), (79) North Carolina (previous odds: 55%, 55%, 53%, 55%)

Already Ineligible for a Bowl Game (51):  (1) UConn, (2) East Carolina, (3) Tulsa, (4) Northwestern, (5) Rutgers, (6) Old Dominion, (7) Rice, (8) UTEP, (9) Akron, (10) New Mexico, (11) UNLV, (12) Arkansas, (13) Missouri, (14) South Alabama, (15) New Mexico State, (16) UMass, (17) Vanderbilt (previous odds: 2%), (18) Maryland (previous odds: 0.5%), (19) Georgia Tech (previous odds: 1%), (20) Bowling Green (previous odds: 3%, 3%), (21) Kansas (previous odds: 4%, 4%), (22) Middle Tennessee (previous odds: 45%, 45%), (23) Houston (previous odds: 9%, 9%), (24) South Carolina (previous odds: 32%, 6%), (25) Texas State (previous odds: 1.5%, 2%), (26) Ole Miss (previous odds: 16%, 18%), (27) Northern Illinois  (previous odds: 8%, 8%, 26%), (28) NC State (previous odds: 47%, 46%, 39%), (29) Colorado State (previous odds: 7%, 7%, 6%), (30) West Virginia (previous odds: 36%, 23%, 31%), (31) Ball State (previous odds: 37%, 35%, 34.5%), (32) North Texas (previous odds: 52%, 51.5%, 51.5%), (33) Duke (previous odds: 53%, 52%, 42%), (34) Coastal Carolina (previous odds: 42%, 38%, 35%), (35) Syracuse (previous odds: 20%, 20%, 33.5%), (36) San Jose State (previous odds: 33%, 30%, 30%), (37) Texas Tech (previous odds: 40%, 42%, 25%), (38) Stanford (previous odds: 52.5%, 43%, 20%), (39) Arizona (previous odds: 21%, 21%, 19%), (40) UTSA (previous odds: 5%, 19%, 18%), (41) Purdue  (previous odds: 6%, 16%, 16%), (42) South Florida (previous odds: 30%, 16%, 11%), (43) Fresno State (previous odds: 70%, 60%, 56%), (44) UCLA (previous odds: 35.5%, 35.5%, 32%), (45) Nebraska (previous odds: 39%, 39%, 38%, 40%), (46) TCU (previous odds: 54%, 52%, 69%, 66%), (47) Troy (previous odds: 18%, 24%, 28%, 21%), (48) Oregon State (previous odds: 34%, 22%, 35.5%, 16%), (49) Colorado (previous odds: 10%, 15%, 15%, 18%), (50) UL-Monroe (previous odds: 29%, 47%, 34%, 37%), (51) Army (previous odds: 43%, 44%, 45%, 45%)

Current Stats:

Already Bowl Eligible: 79

Predicted to be Bowl Eligible: 0 (79)

Already Ineligible for a Bowl Game: 51

Predicted not to become Bowl Eligible: 0 (51)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s